Thursday, March 10, 2011

Temporary pescetarians

We're only two days into Lent, yet Harrison and I are happy so far with our decision to give up meat for these next forty days. While first and foremost keeping in mind that we're making a small sacrifice in appreciation of Christ's sacrifice for us on the cross, we also have some other benefits we hope to achieve from our temporary pescetarian lifestyle. It will be nice to save some money. Sirloin roasts, pork tenderloin, etc. don't come very cheap. We're also looking forward to opening our eyes to unfamiliar vegetables, spices, seafood, and meat substitutes. Finally, we hope to lose a few pounds! It seems like the holiday weight never said 'goodbye.' For lunch yesterday, I had cheese tortellini and for dinner I made a scrambled egg and cheese burrito. Harrison made a combo of brown rice, corn, black beans, and salsa. He added some cheese and made a very yummy burrito. Today I made some vegetarian chili with Morning Star crumbles (meat substitute), and I think it turned out ok. I really liked the dinner that I cooked up tonight: Italian Portabella and Roasted Edamame (for recipe, see the tab: For the love of food). In the next few days, I'll probably be making Smoky Cheese Black Bean and Rice Casserole. Please leave a comment if you have some good vegetarian or fish recipes for us to try out!

No comments:

Post a Comment