Monday, March 7, 2011

Mini getaway to Charleston, SC

Harrison and I were in Charleston this past Thursday through Sunday. He was on Spring Break and I was going to attend a medical conference. We had such a nice, little weekend getaway.

Thursday night we had dinner at Hyman’s Seafood. They claim to have the best seafood in the southeast, but we weren’t very impressed. It seemed like a tourist trap with average food. Harrison had the stuffed grouper and I had the shrimp scampi. On Friday I headed over to the conference that was put on by MUSC at the Doubletree. I walked into the large ballroom with 150 MDs, NPs, and PAs. I sat at a table and started chatting with the people nearby. It turned out that the woman next to me was an NP that used to teach clinical skills at Auburn. She taught me my very first nursing 'skill': how to make a patient’s bed! After more talking, I found out that she had moved to Gadsden (my hometown) 18 months ago and now is in the same social circle as all of my parent’s friends! We had such a fun time reminiscing and talking about all of our commonalities.

At lunch, I met up with Harrison and we had lunch at Jestine’s Kitchen. It was a cute little diner downtown. Our entrees were just okay, but the Coconut Cream Pie dessert was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! I had to go back to the conference after lunch, which was followed by a nice wine and cheese reception. Harrison and I met back up and headed out to the Rooftop Bar at the Vendue Inn to watch the sunset. It was a lovely view of the city!
Afterward, we headed to McCrady’s. It is a very nice restaurant/bar that has a neat place in history. You have to reach the entrance from a cute little alleyway. The bar was too full, so we actually didn’t stick around. We had dinner at Sermet’s Corner and Harrison had pork tenderloin that was to die for! To top the night off, we ended up at Club Habana. This was such a cool cigar bar with really great atmosphere and drinks. We were a bit smelly when we left.
On Saturday, I was in the conference until noon, then Harrison and I met up for lunch. We drove out to Sullivan’s Island and Isle of Palms and ate at Coconut Joe’s which overlooked the beach. The food and drink was pretty standard. We took our chairs onto the beach afterward, but we had to stay bundled up.
We had drinks at the Boathouse which was really exciting for us. Harrison and I had our rehearsal dinner at the Boathouse in Asheville. Our guests were the last ever to eat at the restaurant before it closed for business due to the economy in 2008. Harrison and I also sampled the clam appetizer, which was fabulous. Neither of us have ever had clams apart from chowder.
Next we headed to Vickery’s, and had a drink on their outdoor porch. It was a cute place with a tiki bar feel to it.
Afterward we went back into downtown Charleston and had one last drink at the original Citadel (now an Embassy Suites).
When Sunday rolled around (and so did we with all of the food that we'd eaten), I had one last half-day of conferences. I really learned a lot and I highly recommend primary care conferences by MUSC. It was very organized, they fed us well and kept an endless supply of coffee available, and the presenters were fantastic. It was a great way to earn 15 hours of continuing education. Eventually, Harrison and I headed home, sad to end our mini getaway.

- A special thanks to Elizabeth, Harrison’s sister and former Charleston resident, who recommended almost every place I mentioned above.

No comments:

Post a Comment