Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Office redo!

My office is SO bland! It's in the interior of the building, so there are no windows and the lights are those bad halogen tubes behind Plexiglas. Because I spend a lot of time in my office, I decided it was time to liven things up a bit. Here are some before photos:



Recently I raided Hobby Lobby and got all sorts of great items marked down by 66%! I always have a 40% off coupon too. I got a bunch of little things to set on shelves, but they were all black...B-O-R-I-N-G. So, I bought teal and paprika red (Home Depot), ocean blue and cherry red (Wal-mart) spray paints. The Sunday before last, I had myself a little spray-painting party in the back yard.

On Pinterest, I got the idea to spice up my office's bookshelf by adding either contact paper/wallpaper/or wrapping paper to the back of the shelf. I found a great black and white damask wrapping paper from Wal-mart and bought double sided tape to attach it. It took me all of 30 minutes and I love the way it turned out. I also love the way my Hobby Lobby items ($5 per item) look with a fresh coat of spray paint!
 With the recent changes, I think Hippocrates looks happier on the shelf!


My office needed an extra seat for the pharmaceutical reps that come by to discuss their products. My office is limited on space, so I needed a very small seat. I found a great, although very tired/beat up, small bench at the thrift store in Auburn. I dusted, sanded, cleaned, primed and spray painted this bench. Then I tried my hand at my first ever upholstery job. The seat unscrewed from the bench very easily. I almost just put the fabric on top of the old fabric, but it was pretty nasty, so I got rid of it. When I did, I realized there was another layer of upholstery (in terrible condition) underneath. When I went to remove that, I realized that the 'batting' that was originally used was PINE STRAW! EWW! But it was also kind of neat because I knew that the bench must have been practically ancient! I wonder what its story is. Anyway, the board happened to be a lovely piece of cedar, so I wrapped it in 3 coats of batting and then put some lovely leftover fabric on it. I love the way my $6 thrift store find turned out! I added a little pillow for some extra comfort and color. I made the envelope pillow cover. You can kind of see the bench in the photo above, but here's a close up:

I bought two $7 lamps and two $5 lamp shades from Dollar General to go on top of my filing cabinet. I sanded, primed, and sprayed the lamp bases teal. I bought the lovely turquoise planter from Hobby Lobby (only $7 since it was 50% off this week)! Eventually I'll get around to getting a nice green, leafy plant to put in it. I replaced the lame, freely hanging, anatomy poster with a vintage poster of the human skeletal system (which I framed using a simple $10 poster frame with Plexiglas). Here's the file cabinet area now:



I'd like to eventually add a tall coat/umbrella rack in the back corner to hang my tote, lab coats, 'brellas, etc.

I saw this easy art inspiration on Pinterest, and decided to copy:

I spray painted a 16 x 20 canvas light ocean blue. Then I dipped various sized plastic cups and lids in white and teal acrylic paints and transferred them to the canvas. I let the paint drops fall where they would for added character. Now I've brightened up my wall a little bit and matched the rest of the decor:



I'm so happy with the way everything turned out! The best part is that I no longer get headaches from the hideous overhead halogen lights. The five lamps put off a nicer, ambient light that makes me feel relaxed and happy to be at work.

On a side note, I thought I'd include a photo of my new couch pillows at home. My friend, Erin, found these burlap monogrammed pillows at Scott's Antiques in Atlanta. Can you believe that she found our initials? Our couch pillows match the blog name! I love them! As for the other pillows, I made them out of Pier 1 place mats.


No comments:

Post a Comment